The Memorial Union provides many different services to the campus and community including restaurants, campus information, ATM machines, email stations, telephones, newspapers, mailboxes, convenience store, bowling, billiards, and the OSU Bookstore. The Union is also a great place to relax, study, and meet with people.
All levels of the Memorial Union are handicap accessible, with entrances located on the north and south sides of the building.
The OSU Bookstore is located in the Memorial Union. The bookstore sells textbooks, general books, and a large selection of computer books, topographical maps, children's books, calendars, and best sellers. The merchandise selection at the bookstore includes CD's, school & art supplies, frames, jewelry, watches, greeting cards, gift type items, electronics, and OSU insignia apparel.
The Memorial Union was dedicated on June 1, 1929 as a living memorial to "the service and inspiration of the living and the memory of our immortal dead."
The Oregon State University Memorial Union was the first student union in the state and was built through contributions made by students and alumni. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on March 3, 1926 with the official dedication by Dr. J.K. Weatherford. The final design was from Lee Thomas, Portland Architect (1907 OSU alumni). The cornerstone was laid on June 1, 1928 and the building was open to students and public for the first time. Official dedication ceremonies took place a year later on alumni day. The building remained virtually unchanged until fall term of 1960 when the two wings were added at each end of the building for the bookstore and dining commons.
The Memorial Union art collection began in 1928 with a gift from the Board of Regents, but the foundation of the collection came in 1943 with a donation of fifty-three William Henry Price paintings. Currently among the 125 artists included in the collection, are paintings and sculptures by J. Leo Fairbanks, works from the early nineteen hundreds by Carrie Gilbert depicting Native Americans, prints collected and donated by Gordon & Vivian Gilkey, historic photographs of OSU (some on display in the mezzanine hall) and murals sponsored by the Oregon Arts Commission. The collection has over 300 works of art (about half are on display at any one time) throughout the building. Changing art exhibits are featured in the Memorial Union main concourse.