The Oregon State University Memorial Union was the first student union in the state and was built through contributions made by students and alumni. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on March 3, 1926 with the official dedication by Dr. J.K. Weatherford. The final design was from Lee Thomas, Portland Architect (1907 OSU alumni). The cornerstone was laid on June 1, 1928 and the building was open to students and public for the first time. Official dedication ceremonies took place a year later on alumni day. The building remained virtually unchanged until fall term of 1960 when the two wings were added at each end of the building for the bookstore and dining commons.
The MU Through Time